Tuesday, October 6, 2009

We're Just Not That Good

Almost every week I receive phone calls, e-mails, and written notes about how God is changing someone's life. Every Monday the staff and elders receive a printout of the decisions made from the service. I see and hear many stories about how God is changing the hearts of people and is radically saving them from the destruction of sin. I know that two weeks ago a decision was made to be baptized that had been put off for years. I know that a recovering meth addict gave her life to Christ. I've seen a married couple who were in denial about their problems come and deal with them and see their marriage renewed and their commitment restored. I've seen teens that were headed down a path of darkness be totally turned around and given new life.

Almost every week I see people whose lives are radically changed by the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God can do anything He wants to do and is still moving and saving people today as He has throughout history. So many times I get thanked for the work that God's been doing. I'm sure it happens to the other staff too. Perhaps the elders receive some affirmation or even some of our small group leaders or Sunday School teachers. The bottom line is...I haven't saved anyone, restored anyone's marriage, helped turn anyone's kids around. God does all of that. He should get ALL the credit.

Let's face it. Though our church staff is wonderful. Though our elders are Godly men of integrity. Though we have many great people living out the "one anothers" as lay servants in our church, we're just not that good. We can't do anything without Christ.

So, though we may sing well, speak well, testify well, teach well, and serve well, we need to remind ourselves that even our best is shambles compared to the work that God does. We can plant the seed. We can water the seed. (And we should!) But God is the One that makes it grow.

No comments: