Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fingerprints on my Desk

I have a really nice desk here at the church office. It shines when it's clean (and when you can see it). Many times I bury it in paperwork. Over the last few weeks I've tried to be more conscious of trying to keep it clean. That makes me feel better and work better. Ah, the power of a clean desk!

As I'm picking up my desk I notice little fingerprints. My little darling girls leave fingerprints everywhere on my desk. They don't mean to, they just do. Seems like kid's hands always have something on them. I think that it's part of being a kid. Even at the house we have fingerprints: on the kitchen counters, bathroom counters, on the table...just about everywhere.

Sometimes I get annoyed at those little fingerprints. It's one more thing to clean up. They are messy and smudgy. They don't look good on my desk. But today I'm enjoying those little fingerprints and thanking God for each one. Each of those fingerprints come from 3 special little girls that God has put into my life. I have the privilege of them calling me daddy. I think that they help me to see God more in daily life and think about His affection for us. God loves us so much and I love my girls! They mean so much to me!

We've all had messy hands and I'm sure that we've left some fingerprints on His desk. I don't think He's annoyed though. I think that God smiles and appreciates each and every little fingerprint. It reminds Him of His kids.

I'm doing the same today. I'm smiling and thinking about my kids. And I'm leaving these fingerprints on my desk....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eric - I really enjoyed this post - I have little fingerprint memories and wish that they had been more inspirational when they were originally left. However, even though they can be removed from the desktop with a little spray cleaner, they will always remain imprinted in my heart. So, remember that little lives leave long lasting impressions, no matter whether we realize it at the moment or not. God is just like that. He doesn't leave massive handprints on our lives - He leaves little fingerprints, and waits for us to discover them, cherish them, learn from them.