Thursday, November 26, 2009

Kicking off Christmas

Well, call me a glutton for punishment, but I'm going to try and brave it. The last 3 years I've been one of "those people" who get up at the crack of dawn, or rather the middle of the night, and try to go and get some deals on Christmas gifts the day after Thanksgiving. It's not that I'm obsessed with it, I just like the challenge a little, I guess. The only part I really don't like about it is the other people who are on a mission and will do almost anything to make sure they get their way.

If my newspaper adventure is any indication how tomorrow may be, then I might rethink this shopping thing. I wanted a paper today to see what the ads were. I looked for papers at Wal-Mart, K-Mart and outside 6 convenience stores. They were all sold out of newspapers! Are you kidding me? When I got to the last gas station, I got the last paper in the machine there. I hope that this is no indication of what shopping is going to be like tomorrow.

My father-in-law was commenting tonight on something that happened at Lowe's last year. He said that 2 ladies got into a fist fight over a crock pot that was $20. Are you kidding me? That's the kind of stuff that crazy people do! It's a crock pot for crying out loud! But, I must admit and I've seen it myself, some people take this "black Friday" shopping thing WAY too serious. I think that it's "Black Friday" because of the way people act. When people get hurt over getting a good deal...I think that it's time to reevaluate your life's priorities. I want a deal as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to break someone's teeth about it! It's like we're shopping with a few obsessed "me monsters" who are all about themselves and their agenda and don't care about anyone else. Remember that tomorrow as you see them making a fool out of themselves with fire in their eyes running around pushing their way through the line trying to get the last crock pot. I just imagine them hollering at the top of their lungs, "ME! ME! It's all about ME!!!!!!!!" When I do that, I laugh out loud sometimes...then I pray for them.

What I'm most excited about is what happens to the Christian radio station tomorrow. 98.3 KLVV goes to all Christmas music!!! I love the Christmas music. It seems to brighten up every day. They play Jingle Bell Rock and all of the stuff, but they also play the Christmas hymns and songs that remind us all of the reason for the season.

So, have fun out there tomorrow, but beware the "Me Monsters". I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving with their families and friends. I got to get to bed...I've got to get up in like 4 hours, ya know!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Christmas music is what I'm most excited about, too. Love it! The only thing I love about working on Black Friday is that we switch to ALL Christmas music in the cafe! I get to listen to Josh Groban, David Archuleta, Straight No Chaser, Transiberian Orchestra... ah! I love it! :)

I was thinking about it, and its so odd how one day is the holiday dedicated to GIVING, SHARING, and THANKFULNESS... and the very next day is known for selfish chaos?? So sad.

I mean, if you can get an awesome deal, great! Go for it! But too many people allow themselves to be driven to madness. I'm sure half of the stuff they're after they didn't even think about until they saw it in the ads :P crazy