Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Everyone Has A god

Believe it or not, idolatry comes naturally to all of us. Why? Because we were made to worship, we must worship, and we will worship. Even as nature abhors a vacuum, so does the human soul. The human soul always will find an object of worship, either on the shelf or on the altar or in the mirror or in heaven. But we will find something to worship, because we are all idolaters.

Maybe we don't give these gods the names they were once given, like Dagon or Baal or Zeus or Thor, but they are gods nonetheless. An idol or false god is anyone or anything that takes the place of God in our lives. And know this: everyone has a god...even atheists.

When someone comes up with their own version of God, that is worshipping a false god as well. Making statements like, "Well, I don't believe in a God who would. . . ." is creating your own god, and that is idolatry. Anytime we find or fabricate something to worship on our terms, think idol.

The Bible warns us, "Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts" (1 John 5:21). Whoa. Notice that John says "anything". John knew well the war for our worship and how many would struggle with things of this world taking the place of God in our hearts.

But why would we worship an object or a thing or something else instead of the true God? Because in our minds, it gives us control. Control...as I counsel and preach and help people, I see control issues everwhere. Why are some church members chronically negative about the "changes" in the church? Control. Why does your mother-in-law meddle and try to cause conflict in your marriage? Control. Why does your boss have to be so "bossy"? Control. Why does someone give you the silent treatment after a disagreement? Control. Why do some people stop giving to the local church when they don' like something? Control. Why is there so much conflict on the PTA board at school? Because it's all about control. Why do we worship what we want, when we want, and how we want? It's about control.

An idol or false god is whatever you get excited about, whatever you are passionate about, and whatever you choose to pour your mind's attention and your heart's affection toward. People get excited about a lot of things in this world. They may not call these things their gods, but in effect, that's exactly what they are. What is the focus of your life? That, for all practical purposes, is your god.

Idols...everywhere. Everyone has a god. My prayer is that you'd find the real thing.

2 comments:

LaVone said...

AMEN. Great post!

-LaVone

Anonymous said...

..Lord..I pray that if this is the right thing i should pay attention to.. if 'control' is really the sin that is causing me so much pain now..that if i should pay attention here and do something about it.. then I pray my 'sorries', Lord.. I pray that I am hinge on the right thing, and not on the wrong things..
If i am shackled by an idol, please help me break away Lord; please help me because I cannot do so, myself. Amen.
- Jules, fellow-sister-I-C, praying with you..tho, about me. (I welcome if you write, or tell me youve prayed for me)