Friday, July 2, 2010

Plantar Fascia Partial Rupture

Sounds interesting, right? Well, not when you are suffering with it. It appears that at the Wednesday night church softball league game I hit a base just right when rounding 3rd and partial ruptured (tore) some of the ligament. The plantar fascia or arch ligament is a band that runs from under the heel to the front of the foot. A strain or rupture to this is quite common. A plantar fascia strain might result from one single traumatic incident or may gradually occur over a period of time. In my case I hurt it just barely a week ago and doc thinks that I just went all the way this time.

I suffered through the night last night and did not sleep well at all. Got up this morning and went to the doctor's. When I finally got to see the doctor (why are they always so slow?!), he asked me all of my symptoms, etc. I told him that I had looked it up online and that my own diagnosis I thought I had a plantar fascia strain or rupture. I could tell he was impressed and he examined the foot and pressed on a few places. Then he hit the place where the pain is so intense that I nearly kicked him in the chin. After the exam and some advice and a prescription, he said, "Your diagnosis was correct." That was pretty cool. Thank God for the information superhighway!

I'm on some good medication now called Lortab. It's good stuff. Reminds me of some of the pain medication that I got when I broke my femur when I was a kid. Kind of seems like it just makes you feel good and warm all over and makes you act like you don't care about much of anything. I was talking to a friend about it tonight and he described how addicts struggle in terms that I had never really thought before. Alcohol, drug use, huffing, etc. just numb the pain of life for a while. It feels good and is an escape from the moment. The problem is that you live for the next time you can feel that way. Addicts wake up the next morning and their problems and pain are right there again. So they go and seek another hit of something to numb the pain. The cycle is hard to break and in many cases deadly. That's why the doc and pharmacist make such a big deal out of these things. They can be very addictive I guess. After taking a couple, I can see why.

One of my friends from the church texted me tonight and made the comment, "Sunday's message could be pretty interesting if you are on Lortabs." Too funny. Actually the doc told me that depending on my behavior and reaction to the medication, that I may not want to take one Sunday morning before preaching. Then again, it might make a memory, right?!

In all seriousness I'm feeling a little better today. I pretty much stayed off of the foot all day until a trip to Lowe's tonight. When I got home it was hurting pretty bad. Couldn't take another pill till later. Just got to stay off of the foot as much as possible for the next several days and take it easy for a week or two. Needless to say, I can't play softball next week, but may be able to play in two. It's a bummer, but I always have to remind myself that it could be worse. Because you know...it really could be.

We'll see what preaching on a Lortab is like this weekend!

Don't forget to celebrate freedom this weekend as we do the fireworks thing and spend time with family and friends. Freedom is so great, but is never free. What a great nation we live in. Praise God for that!

No comments: