Saturday, July 11, 2009

Pursuit or Not Pursuit

If you are reading this, I'd love to get your feedback. Just leave a comment. It's quick, easy, and you can stay anonymous of you must.

I was in K-Mart tonight looking for a sprinkler. I have a couple of places in my yard where the sprinklers don't get very well. Anyway, Amy and I ran into some friends that we hadn't seen in a while. They are in ministry like we are. As we all started discussing life, church (it always comes up), and kids, the guy I was talking to said something very interesting. We were talking about church growth and churches gaining new members. While we were talking about churches strategizing to get new people, we started talking about pursuit. So many churches pursue people. And he said that you never read about Jesus and the disciples pursuing anyone. In fact, they ran more people off than came to repentance sometimes.

The conversation then went toward churches bending and trying hard to win new members so they can boast of their attendance rolls rather than making fully-devoted disciples of Jesus. He then kind of challenged me in my thinking. If a church had 100% sold-out disciples, then it would always be a growing church because disciples, truly dedicated followers of Jesus, always share their faith.

My philosophy has always been to do my job and let God bring the growth. If He wants the church to be 1,000 in weekend services, He'll make it happen. Our job is simply faithfulness in our areas of calling and to bring others along in the faith with us.

I'd love to hear any feedback that any has as you read this. Should we pursue and try to woo people to our church? Or should we not pursue and just preach, teach, edify, challenge, and grow people in the Lord? Are we called to go after prospective members or let them come to us? I'm not talking about not reaching the lost. I'm talking more about people who are saved and church shopping. I'll be interested to see your comments. Just click on the "comments" link below and let me know what you think. Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree the importance is not the number that attend church, but the lives that have been touched. 100% fully committed people in church is like saying everyone is going to always get along with each other. Even Jesus didn’t have fully-devoted disciples. People are at different stages in their spiritual walk, and some may never come to maturity, which may not have anything to do with the leadership. When we share Jesus with an unbeliever, we can feel it’s our job to bring them to the Lord, but it’s the job of the Holy Spirit. Did you ask him if his church has fully-devoted disciples?

That’s my input.

Anonymous said...

I don't think we should try to woo those who are church shopping. "Shopping" already sends up warning flags; some people want a church where they can feel important or get recognition. Although we all like that, when we are serving the Lord it is supposed to be out of an overflow of love for Him and the faithful use of the gifts He has given us. I believe that as we teach the truth through the pulpit, Bible studies and our lives, those who are in need will recognize genuine nourishment and go where their needs are met. Remember the ol' song ..."If I be lifted up, I will call men to Me".