Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Anatomy of a Sermon Part 1

I've had many people ask as time goes on, how do you write a sermon? How do you know which passages to preach? How do you put series together? Where do you get the ideas, illustrations, stories? What is the process of study and preparation? In my next few blog entries, I'm going to attempt to answer these questions and walk my readers through the process. Understand that I cannot put everything here because it would take eons. However, I will attempt to give everyone an idea of how I do it.

One thing you must understand, every preacher is different. Every preacher has his own personality, style, way of teaching, creative ideas, and rapport. But one thing that every good preacher will attest to, every good preacher will agree on, is that it all starts and ends with the Living Word of God. The Bible is where every message must start and finish. It's the only book that will change hearts an lives completely because it is the Holy Word of God. These words are life. These are words that preach. These are words that will change eternal destinations.

Every sermon I preach usually starts with an idea. The idea usually comes out of something I've read or studied or heard. During most weeks, I'll read, study, listen, and pray for many hours. During these times come some of my best ideas for preaching, series, etc. God brings the His Word to me. Through this, there's always a verse or passage that comes to the surface and is the backbone for the message. Sometimes, I think preachers work backwards. They come up with an idea or thought and then try to find some scripture for it. I find myself with the scripture first and the thoughts and ideas coming out of that verse or passage.

At this point, some direction comes together for the sermon. What is God saying? What is He wanting the people in this church to know? What is He teaching me and I can in turn teach others? These are the times where the main idea or theme, or maybe even the title come together. Then, it's time to hit my deep study mode.

No comments: