Saturday, September 26, 2009

Held Up In My Bedroom

Try to picture this if you would. Note the time on this post. I'm here in my bedroom at the house. I've got my laptop here on my bed. I'm checking e-mail and looking over sermon notes. I've been run from my house because there are 8 girls who have invaded the living room. Maddy is having her first slumber party (for her 8th birthday). It's gone pretty well. We couldn't invite everyone unfortunately, (she had 15 on her list) so we did the best we could to help her build some relationships on our watch. Overall, the girls have been good and we've done some fun things and made some memories for Maddy. A little while ago I heard Maddy say to a friend, "Is this the best birthday party that you've ever been to?" It warmed Amy's heart and mine to hear that. I'm glad we got to do this for her and meet some of her school friends. I'm just trying to be a good dad, even though I'm held up here in the bedroom. I've got stories and good sermon illustrations out the wazoo from tonight's shindig and I'll be keeping them handy for the future. If you remember these days, smile and think back. If your in them, enjoy them. I hear that they are here and gone in a flash. We have to cherish these moments, even when there are slumber parties involved. Well, I figure 2 more "first slumber parties" to go and I'll be done. I'll talk about the final one in about 6 years, at Izzy's 8th birthday.

I love being a dad. I love my girls. Thank God for the gift of life!

No comments: