Friday, September 18, 2009

Faithful Volunteer Wife

My wife is at the Lock-in with the elementary kids tonight. She is staying all night as a sponsor. Amy is the most wonderful volunteer that I know. I may be just slightly biased, but she serves her tail off. I was figuring up the other day and I think that she's involved in 10 different ministries, and about 4 of them are in a leadership capacity. Now some would say, "That's just a part of being the pastor's wife." But let me remind those people, she doesn't get paid. When I was hired by the church, they hired me, not my wife. Amy serves not because she ought to. She doesn't serve for accolades. She doesn't serve so other people can see her. Amy serves because she loves Jesus and wants to see lost people brought to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, just like she was some 16 years ago. If she can make someone comfortable with our children's ministry so they can sit in a service or group time and focus (and not worry about their kids) and be drawn to Christ, then she does it. I'm sorry. Maybe I'm bragging. But I am so proud of her and love her heart for the Lord so much. (I wonder if we had a church full of people with this attitude, what would happen?)

I love my wife attitude about serving others. She has her days of frustration or burnout, but you'd never know it. Her heart is so right. Though there are others like her in our church, I know that God always has room for one more. He wants us to help Him in His work. People who serve and get their hands dirty make a difference in the Kingdom of God.

As we start this new series "Living a Life on Loan", my prayer is that every person in our church would become aware of their life's purpose, repent of apathy, and let God use them in a powerful way for the Kingdom. I will keep praying for these things. I'm excited to see what God will do with a person who realizes that their life is on loan from Him.

No comments: