Friday, August 24, 2012

Blessed By a Funeral

What a crazy week.  I've driven about 1,500 miles this week as I went to KC, MO to my aunt's funeral on Monday and went to Arkansas for a conference on Wednesday.  Lots of miles, but lots of blessings too.

I was deeply impacted at my aunt's funeral.  There were many things that were impressive about the whole experience there.  First of all, this church (Woods Chapel) was so loving to my uncle and the family there.  You could feel it and sense it.  They had their guest services team there.  They were opening doors, greeting, directing people.  I asked someone if this was normal.  They said yes.  They do it for most funerals for church members.  That was really impressive.  A long line formed to offer condolences to my uncle.  It went on for about 90 minutes.  Person after person expressing concern and love for my uncle and his loss.  I must admit, it was not what I expected at all, but it was really neat to watch.

The funeral service was equally impressive.  You talk about a life celebration service!  That's exactly what it was.  If you knew my aunt, then you knew that she was the epitome of kindness and goodness and love.  She just had that way about her.  It wasn't how she acted, it was who she was.  She lived out her faith and commitment to Christ everyday.  At the funeral there was story after story after story that people wrote in or shared at the mic about her impact and Christian example.  Friends and acquaintances alike shared how they were touched by my aunt's life.  It was amazing.

Several take aways for me.  First, this church expressed love and care in a big way.  The guest services team was even there and this was one of the most well attended funerals I've ever attended.  The church lavished concern and caring on my uncle and the family.  This is how churches should respond when someone among them loses a loved one.  Just showing up so the family knows you care is huge.  When in doubt...if it's someone in your church family...show up.  Just showing up says we love you and we care for you.  It means a lot to a mourning family or individual.

Another take away is that a Christian's funeral should be joyous.  I really enjoyed celebrating her life at the funeral.  Christians should not mourn as those who have no hope.  (see 1 Thessalonians 4:13)  There will always be mourning at any funeral, but the Christians should remember that the deceased is with Christ and there is no better place to be.  Knowing this, we find a celebration of Christ's love for us is appropriate.

Overall, let me just say...well done.  The whole experience was well done.  I saw Christian brothers and sisters serving, loving, and sharing life together in such a way that it made me think, this is what koinonia (deep fellowship) must have been like in the early church.  To Woods Chapel, I commend your Christlikeness.  It blessed my soul.  Thank you Lord for this example of the way things ought to be when you're a part of the family of God.


No comments: