Sunday, January 11, 2009

Beat Up or Upbeat

I deal with people almost everyday. I see people who come to my office or who I talk to on the phone that all have a couple things in common. First of all, most are lost and looking for a Savior. That's a good thing. And most, in all honesty, are looking for happiness in some form or another.

This is not the happiness that most think. For most people it's not the personal gratification type of happiness. It's not the selfish type of happiness. They just want to feel good...about something...sometimes about anything. Sad? Maybe. But very true. And probably true for me and you as well.

I learned a long, long time ago that happiness is a choice. (I should write a book about that. Bummer, somebody already did.) You choose to be happy or not. Paul had many things happen to him in the New Testament that were horrible at best, but his happiness was not based on his circumstances. His joy was found in the Lord and in life, not in any cerebral or worldly delight.

We have a choice to make everyday. We can be happy or not. It's our choice. Your demeanor is your choice. I'm not saying that you can't have a bad day or a bad week. But how are you going to respond to those circumstances?

You can be beat up or upbeat. Last week there was a lot going on in the church office. It was just one of those times where all of the staff just had a lot going on. I taught/ presented 5 times last week. Everyone had new stuff kicking off. You talk about feeling attacked by Satan! Whew! It was a bad, long week. I remember talking to a couple of other staff members about it. We were all kind of down. But we had a choice to make. Was our glass half empty for half full? Were we going to act beat up or be upbeat? That is a choice that we all make everyday.

You've been around those people, haven't you? You know, the ones who are chronically beat up? I don't know about you, but I kind of get sick of being around them. That's all they talk about...their problems...their bad weeks...their tragedies or mishaps. Do they think they are the only ones having a bad week?

Regardless, the bottom line is this. You can either act beat up or upbeat. I hope that as a child of God, you'll choose the latter. Remember, happiness really is a choice.

Here's to a great week in the Lord!!!

No comments: